August 20, 2015

Pros & Cons of Silver Jewelry

5 THINGS TO UNDERSTAND BEFORE CHOOSING SILVER WEDDING BANDS

1. Durability: Are you hard on your jewelry? Do you work with your hands? Silver is a very soft metal and prone to scratches, dings and changing shape over time. Some people appreciate the way that silver ages and collects marks from daily wear. However many do not like the fact that their rings looking like they are 10 years old after just one year. If this might be concern for you, the suggestion is opting for a more durable choice such as yellow or white gold. All metals, no matter what, will wear over time, but the fact is silver will go through the process much more quickly.


2. Style: Silver is great because of the versatility in the finishes that it can take. From a bright white to an oxidized black, high polish to soft satin silver can be a great versatile option. Although Silver will usually look great in your wedding photos, it will not likely last beyond your special day. All jewelry, especially rings when worn daily, are constantly going through a burnishing process. Burnishing is when the metal rubs against something harder than itself leaving behind a shiny mark. Overtime your ring will be covered with these fine marks, creating a different finish. For example, a satin finished ring might become shinier and a polished ring might become more dull.  However Silver can usually find a happy medium between the two, but this is something you must consider.


3. Cost: Many people go with silver because of the lower cost than the other traditional precious metals.  Because weddings are ever more expensive, adding an expensive ring to the overall cost might be a concern. Most couples who do choose silver wedding bands often plan on wearing them occasionally, and or temporarily, and usually will invest in new rings later down the road. The one year anniversary  is often a perfect time to upgrade! However if you do choose silver, there is an option of having a mold made of your initial rings. At any point after that, those molds can be used to cast the exact same ring in the metal of your choice.


4. Experience: If you do choose to  making your wedding bands and have chosen silver, you will be happy to know that it is very easy to work with. Performing tasks such as soldering and polishing are easy for most people. Silver will also work great for embellishments such as texturing and stamping.


5. Strength: When the decision is made on silver rings we will recommend Palladium sterling silver. Sterling silver is  92.5% pure silver, the remainder 7.5% will be an alloy. Copper is the most common alloy in silver, because it is also a soft metal. Another option is Palladium sterling silver that is made up of 7.5% part palladium and part copper. Palladium is a member of the platinum family and is known to share many of the same characteristics as platinum. Those characteristics will included a great level of durability.

%d bloggers like this: